All we do here at beingthere is video conferencing, so we are always getting asked about Skype, WebEx, GoToMeeting etc. all of which are great technologies and have their own applications. We realised that these days selecting a conferencing service can be a daunting task…..so we thought we would share our thoughts on the different technologies available so you can figure out which one is best for your application. We hope you find this useful – Enjoy!
The first step is to figure out what you need:
1) Is body language and high definition facial expressions important to your online meetings?
2) Do you only need to share documents and seeing the people involved is not very important?
3) Do you need to connect multiple locations together in one conference?
4) Do you need to be able to connect people from their desktop computer and boardroom participants?
Now you have some idea of what you need the next step is to look at the technologies:
Skype video conferencing:
- Cost: Free
- Quality: low-ok
- Multiple location video calling: in beta testing
- Full screen video: yes
- Screen Sharing: limited
- Support: self help and online forums
WebEx & GoToMeeting:
- Cost: ~$50/month
- Desktop sharing only (postage stamp video)
- Full screen Video: no
- Multiple locations: yes
- Support: Phone support
BeingThere video conferencing:
- Cost: ~$500-$1500/month (depending on your package)
- High definition video conferencing
- Full screen Video: Yes
- Multiple locations: 8+ location in a call at on time
- Support: Phone and video support.
All of these services offer free trials, so the best way is to try before you buy. We recommend trying Skype and WebEx first as they are low cost options and will give you a good idea if it is worth paying more for quality and support for you application.
If you have any queries or would like further information about video conferencing please do not hesitate to contact us.